It's Time for Change!
On November 3, 2020, I'm asking all registered voters, irrespective of party, to support my Independent candidacy for D.C. Delegate to Congress. Why? Because DC Statehood isn't a partisan issue, it's a civil rights issue.
One year ago, while attending a forum on DC Statehood held at the Metropolitan A.M.E. Church in Washington, I made the decision to run for the Office of D.C. Delegate to the United States House of Representatives. Unknown to most Americans, Washington, D.C., our nation’s capital, is inhabited by approximately 702,000 Americans that have no voice in the United States Senate or the United States House of Representatives.
The path to DC Statehood requires an independent approach. My experience bridging the partisan divide, navigating Capitol Hill, and reputation for getting things done are the leadership qualities we need to turn this historic DC Statehood moment into momentum.
For the past 38 years, as a tax paying, law abiding District resident, I have waited patiently for the right to vote and be fully represented in Congress. A right that is an essential privilege of American citizenship. That patience was rewarded with a largely symbolic vote by the U.S. House of Representatives on June 26, 2020. It’s time to move beyond symbolism and demand the rights of full citizenship for residents of the District of Columbia. It's time for an Independent and non-partisan approach. It's time for change. Help me build the broad coalitions needed to support our efforts. Join me in the fight to achieve DC Statehood!
Key highlights of my experience, qualifications and commitment to service include:
- Veteran DC Civil Trial Attorney
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, New York Bar
- Minority Chief Counsel, Staff Director, U.S. House Committee on the District of Columbia
- D.C. Assistant City Administrator for Intergovernmental Relations
- Attorney, New York City Corporation Counsel, General Litigation and Trial Divisions
- Senior Commercial Policy Editor, National Broadcasting Company (NBC), New York, NY
- Foster Care, Adoption and Hospital Social Worker
- Elementary Substitute School Teacher, Newark, NJ and Philadelphia, PA
- Peace Corps Member (India)
- Designed and Managed Fund-raising Campaign to Commission the Martin Luther King, Jr. Mural on Exhibit at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library, Washington, DC
- Designed and Managed a Nationally Recognized Fund-raising and Awareness Campaign to Contribute to the Establishment of the National African American Heritage Museum, Washington, DC
- Woman of Faith, Published Author, World Traveler