The path to DC Statehood requires an independent approach. Barbara’s experience bridging the partisan divide, navigating Capitol Hill, and reputation for getting things done are the leadership qualities we need to turn this historic DC Statehood moment into momentum.
A woman of faith and action, Barbara began her career as a social worker protecting vulnerable children in the New Jersey foster care system. Upon attaining her law degree from Rutgers University, Barbara served as a fierce public advocate on behalf of the New York City Corporation Counsel. Barbara’s commitment and passion for public service led her to relocate to Washington, DC and promote the interests of District residents as Minority Chief Counsel and Staff Director to the U.S. House Committee on the District of Columbia. As a result of her advocacy for District residents on Capitol Hill, Barbara was appointed to serve as the Assistant City Administrator for Intergovernmental Relations for the District of Columbia.
Following her federal and local government service, Barbara fulfilled her childhood dream by establishing her own law practice specializing in civil litigation. Barbara has been a proud member of the New York Bar and District of Columbia Bar for over 30 years.
A longtime resident of Ward 3, Barbara resides in the home she shared with her late husband, Dr. Hardy Franklin, and reared her family.
Key highlights of Barbara's experience, qualifications and commitment to service include:
- Veteran DC Civil Trial Attorney
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, New York Bar
- Minority Chief Counsel, Staff Director, U.S. House Committee on the District of Columbia
- D.C. Assistant City Administrator for Intergovernmental Relations
- Attorney, New York City Corporation Counsel, General Litigation and Trial Divisions
- Senior Commercial Policy Editor, National Broadcasting Company (NBC), New York, NY
- Foster Care, Adoption and Hospital Social Worker
- Elementary Substitute School Teacher, Newark, NJ and Philadelphia, PA
- Peace Corps Member (India)
- Designed and Managed Fund-raising Campaign to Commission the Martin Luther King, Jr. Mural on Exhibit at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library, Washington, DC
- Designed and Managed a Nationally Recognized Fund-raising and Awareness Campaign to Contribute to the Establishment of the National African American Heritage Museum, Washington, DC
- Woman of Faith, Published Author, World Traveler